When you visit a doctor in Baltimore, you do so with the belief that he knows what he is doing and that he keeps a clean and sterile office, especially if you are having a procedure done. Yet for one man, a visit to a physician’s office caused him to become infected with MRSA, a bacterium that is antibiotic resistant and difficult to treat in humans.
The man had been experiencing back pain, so he made an appointment at a pain clinic where he received an injection in May 2008. The treatment helped his pain for a while, so he went back for another injection in December. This time the medication had no effect on his pain, so he went back in January for an epidural steroid injection.